Duplin’s Sautéed Steaks with Christmas Wine
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large onion, sliced thin
• 1½ tsp dried oregano
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
• 1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
• 4 top chuck steaks (about 2 lbs), pounded to ½ inch thick
• 1 tsp salt
• ¾ tsp fresh ground black pepper
• ¾ cup Duplin Christmas Wine
1. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a medium frying pan over moderately low heat. Stir in the onion, oregano, garlic, and bell peppers. Cook, covered, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
2. In a large stainless steel frying pan, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of the oil over moderately high heat. Season the steaks with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper. Put the steaks in the hot pan and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook until done to medium rare, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Remove and let rest.
3. Add the bell pepper mixture, Duplin’s Christmas Wine, and the remaining ½ tsp each salt and black pepper to the large frying pan. Sautee until the wine is completely absorbed, about 5 minutes. Serve the steak topped with vegetables.
**The Christmas wine is meant to flavor the onion and peppers, not to make a sauce. Sautee it until it is completely absorbed by the vegetables.