Rose Chiffon Pie
• 2 cups blanched almonds, ground
• 2 tbsp butter
• 3 tbsp sugar
• 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
• ¾ cup sugar
• 4 eggs, separated
• ½ cup Duplin Bald Head Red wine
• ¼ cup water
• ¼ tsp cream of tartar
• 1 cup whipping cream
• 5 drops red food color
1. To make the crust, blend ground almonds, softened butter, and sugar. Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
2. For filling, mix gelatin and ½ cup of the sugar into top of a double boiler; beat in egg yolks until light and fluffy. Blend in the wine and water; place over simmering water. Cook, stirring constantly, until gelatin dissolves and mixture coats a spoon. Pour into a large bowl. Set bowl in a pan of ice water to speed setting. Chill at room temperature, stirring often, just until as thick as unbeaten egg white.
3. While mixture chills, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy white and double in volume in a medium size bowl; beat in remaining ¼ cup sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until meringue stands in stiff peaks.
4. Beat cream until stiff in a second medium size bowl. Fold meringue, then whipped cream into thickened gelatin mixture until no streaks of white remain. Fold in about 5 drops of food coloring to tint pink. Chill again, if necessary, until thick enough to mound when spooned.
5. Spoon into cooled crust. Chill at least 4 hours or until firm. Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream and toasted almond slices.