Vegetable Lasagna with Burgundy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- ½ cup Duplin Burgundy
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ¼ cup mashed, cooked butternut squash**
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 4 cups turnip greens or fresh spinach, torn and blanched
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, vinegar, red pepper, and salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, egg, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, and butternut squash in a bowl and mix well.
- Spread a small amount of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Lay four noodles across the baking dish, and layer in the turnip greens, ¾ cup of the mozzarella cheese, one-half of the squash mixture and one-third of the remaining tomato sauce in the baking dish. Lay the next four noodles, and layer in one half of the remaining tomato sauce, the remaining mozzarella cheese, and the remaining squash mixture into the baking dish. Top with the remaining noodles and remaining sauce and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered with foil, at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes longer or until light brown.
**To bake butternut squash, slice the squash in half and place cut side down in a baking pan. Add water to come 1 inch up the side of the squash. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.