Our video series "Dine & Wine" showcases different recipes and cocktail mixes using Duplin Winery wines and gourmet products. Join our host, Frank, as he gets the dish on our Duplin family's favorite eats and drinks. If you have ideas for the show or if you're looking for a recipe, let us know in the comments. Cheers!
When it comes to deliciously chilly fall nights, when you're wrapped in a blanket sitting on the patio by a fire, there are few things more wonderful than a spiked mug of hot chocolate.
Yep, we said "spiked." In case you hadn't heard, port wine is a classic pairing with chocolate, which got us thinking: What if we put Duplin American Port in a mug of hot cocoa?
The answer to the "What if?" was that we couldn't stop sipping this decadent combination. Our American Port is 10% brandy and 90% wine made with sweet, late-season Muscadine grapes. The port's caramel flavor, with a hint of nut, found a cozy home in a big mug of homemade hot chocolate, adding depth that warmed us deep into our bones.
We started with our recipe for instant hot chocolate mix. We dropped a couple spoonfuls of the dry mix into a heavy, extra-large mug then filled the cup a little more than halfway with steaming-hot whole milk. After stirring, we added 1/2 cup of port, which might sound like a lot but turned out to be just right. We topped the cocoa with a hefty handful of mini marshmallows and then piped on a high mound of whipped cream. Drizzles of both chocolate and caramel sauces were the final touches.
Duplin Port Hot Chocolate
For the cocoa mix:
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered milk
For 1 large cup of hot chocolate:
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cocoa mix
- 1 cup water or milk
- ½ cup Duplin Port Wine
- 10-15 mini marshmallow
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Chocolate sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Prepare the cocoa mix: Place confectioners’ sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder and powdered milk in a large bowl and whisk ingredients together until well blended.
- Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of cocoa mix into an extra-large mug. Transfer remaining cocoa mix to an airtight container and store to use as needed.
- Heat water or milk. Pour hot liquid over the cocoa mix in the cup and stir milk mixture. Add port wine and stir again.
- Sprinkle marshmallows over hot chocolate mixture. Spoon or pipe on sweetened whipped cream. Drizzle with chocolate and caramel sauces.
- Serves 1.